Blog Description

Follow me on my journey for the next 6 weeks!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Welcome!

(I'm Posting this retro-actively, I wrote this on Friday, but hadn't fully decided to really do this whole blog thing)

I thought with my inaugural post I would just share a little about me and the events leading up to me entering this competition and the creation of this blog for those unfamiliar with the tale.

For about as long as I can remember I've been over weight and at various points during my life I tried, unsuccessfully, to eat better, exercise, and get into shape. I think, mostly, I was unsuccessful because I was content with the way I was. I was always happy just being me. As an over weight person the thought is always in the back of your mind, that you should drop some poundage and get it together, but the thought never materialized itself in anyway for me until recently.

I remember growing up, every time I would see my Grandpa Bert, when we first got to his house, or he and my Grandma Sadie would arrive at ours, after hugs and greetings he would always, ALWAYS, grab my upper arm and squeeze it, and with the biggest grin on his face like it was the funniest thing would say, "Ohh ho, he's a husky boy!" Or something along those lines. When I think back on those times now, I laugh, it's just a good way to remember Grandpa Bert's sense of humor. But on those occasions I didn't think it was all that funny. I always wished I had used that as better motivation. To work hard and slim down so the next time I saw him he wouldn't be able to make his usual joke, but I never did. I tell that story because I think anyone who is over weight, by any amount, has little memories or stories like mine that they can use as inspiration and motivation to get the ball rolling! That's one of the reasons I decided to write this, though I doubt many will read, I hope someone can draw on my example as a source of motivation to get down to business! Though I won't be able see my Grandpa Bert at the end of these 6 weeks, I will use this story to fuel my motivation and commitment to this process.

Now on to more recent events. Like I said, I have always been big, but the series of events that lead me to living a healthier life and eventually joining this competition started in the summer of 2010 I guess. I had started trying to eat healthier and began doing some non intensive activity, mostly walking. Just a couple small changes had helped me start the thinning process. I had probably lost a few pounds, nothing much, but someone, had noticed that I looked moderately slimmer. Another factor that helped me along here was a recent move from Tucson to Phoenix. An odd variable, I know, but in Tucson I was still living a college life-style, which included more beers and burritos than salads and walks. Just not drinking as frequently helped out tremendously, beer belly is a common phrase for a reason... It was shortly after this that my real journey would start.

I work for Brandon Lespron, an old family friend and best man in my brothers wedding, doing wine tasting fundraisers for his company Raising Glasses. At some point in early November/late October, Brandon and I were having a couple drinks and the topic of working out came up. I don't even exactly recall how it came around to this, but Brandon asked me if I wanted to start working out with him, and I agreed. And that was it, that simple question, and my agreeing to it started something. I will forever remember that small moment as a turning point in my life. On November 8th, 2011 Brandon and I started doing the P90x workout program. If you haven't heard of it, you probably have seen a commercial for it unwittingly, there are tons of infomercials for the program. I don’t know what was different about this time, but I had decided to do it, and I was committed. I wasn’t going to quit. And I haven’t. Brandon and I worked out probably 4-5 times each week. In combination with P90x I was doing the Eat Clean Diet. The Eat Clean Diet is extremely simple in nature, and I’ll devote another post specifically to it. The combination of the work out regimen and the diet worked great for me. As of about 2 weeks ago I was down 35-40lbs. It feels great to lose that much weight! Plus I’m happier, more energetic, and more confident in myself. Though he will tell you other wise, I give Brandon a lot of credit for helping get to where I am right now. He’s been a friend, a boss, a workout partner, and I will always be in his debt for helping me get to wear I am today. And not only Brandon, the entire Lespron family has been awesomely supportive! Eric, one of my best and oldest friends, has been there working out with us when he can, giving encouragement, same with Chris and their mom Jenny. Not to mention my own family! They have all been supportive and encouraging to me since I started all this.

And finally we get to why I’m writing all this. Orange Theory Fitness is a gym that offers instructor led, small group, interval training workouts. They recently opened a location in Scottsdale, and as a promotion are having this weight loss challenge. Brandon had been encouraging Eric and I to do it, and Eric had agreed. Then, after a little more coxing from Brandon I decided to do it as well, and incidentally Brandon is doing it as well. So that’s where we are, I’m on my way out the door right now to do my first workout.

I’ll be posting again soon about my first workout and more details about the competition.

Peace for now friends

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your writing is eloquent, in and of itself, but the content is worthy of goosebumps! This is so insightful. It takes courage to do this, and share it with the world. I'm proud of you!

    More than weight loss, I think of the health benefits. Keep that in mind, too. Don't give up. It will be hard, probably harder than anything you've ever done. But the payoff will be worth it!

    Hang in there. Get the rest of the crew to post their struggles and successes too. Who knows, maybe you'll be on Dr. Oz!!

    Can't wait to follow your journey. You know you have a boatload of support.

    Love you, Bear,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete